Everybody loves a good themed sensory bin and this one is portable! Tuck it away when the ocean play is over and bring it back out another day filled frogs and turtles.
- Fill aquarium with desired amount of rice. This will vary depending on your tank size. (Tank pictured took three pounds.)
- Once you are happy with amount, pour rice into plastc bags (as needed.) Add five to ten drops of blue food coloring to each. Seal and shake bag to coat rice. Add more coloring until you reach your desired saturation. Dry overnight.
- Assemble your aquarium by adding dryed rice, decor and aquatic life. Kiddos can discover and rearrange all they wish!
- Go to a local aquarium - If you're near the Pacific Northwest, we love the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport for its shark tunnel. Amazing! The Monterey Bay Aquarium in California is also one of our favorites. Not nearby? Check out their jelly cam. Let us know in our comments section if you have any other recommendations.
- Upgrade to a larger table and go wild with sensory fun
- Read Coral Reefs by Gail Gibbons
- Study the Encyclopedia of Aquarium & Pond Fish or Eyewitness: Fish
- Visit a pet or aquarium supply store and fish through all the underwater goods
- Go fishing - real or pretend
Follow our Sensory Play Pinterest Board for more ideas!