Lentils aren't your typical sensory material, but these tiny little seeds provide a heftier medium than standard sand or salt for Montessori tray writing practice. Leave them dry as is, or add some paint for color and texture.
If fancifying, spray paint cookie sheet following can directions. Let dry.
- Pour two cups or so of lentils into a bag.
- Add color to desired saturation.
- Close bag and shake to coat lentils.
- Pour out onto foil-lined cookie sheet. Repeat steps 1-4 for multiple paint colors. Let dry overnight.
- Mix dried lentils together and spread onto cookie sheet.
- Encourage kiddos to use their fingers or pointer to trace lowercase letters into lentils.
- Check out a Montessori sand tray or sandpaper letters
- Use workbooks like:
- Study a Little Wigwam Alphabet Placemat while eating
- Magnetize with Colorful Jumbo Letters
- Lowercase Stamp little stories
- Put together a puzzle or two or three
- Engage in an aquatic adventure
- Go big with Mudpuppy Wooden UPPERCASE LETTERS!