Paint chips are the perfect, free tool for teaching kiddos about color. A Montessori Color Tablets Box is a fantastic and beautiful tool, but might be something to save up for. Paint chips are a nice alternative. In this activity, we sort different tones, tints and shades of the same hues and then we tuck them all away in a matching envelope.
NOTE: We use affiliate links.
- Paint Chips (see hardware store for best selection)
- Envelopes - coordinate with paint chips
- Pick out different shades, tones, and tints of paint chips to coordinate with chosen envelopes. Four or five for each color will do. Repeat for all colors you chose.
- Scatter all of the different shades, tones, and tints of colors and ask kiddos to place the appropriate ones into the coordinating envelope. (All the types of pink into the pink envelope.) Repeat for all colors.
- Invest in all Montessori color materials: Montessori Color Tablets #1, Montessori Color Tablets #2, Montessori Color Tablets #3
- Do a Fairy Color Match Up or play Mouse Match
- Quiz with Pantone Color Cards and Color Puzzles. We LOVE pantone color ANYTHING!
- Challenge kiddos with Color Code
- Read Maisy's First Colors and Super Heroes Colors Shapes and More
- Try the Hape Color and Shape Sorter. Our one year old enjoys sorting this puzzle.